The University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program (UMAPS) is now accepting applications from faculty members of universities/colleges in Africa. The University of Michigan is gathering faculty members from all African tertiary institutions to the University’s campus for residencies which might last up to 6 months.
Faculty members from Liberia, Ghana, Ethiopia, South Africa, and Uganda can apply directly but faculty members from higher institutions from all other African must first of all, be nominated by a faculty member of University of Michigan and invited by the same faculty member in University of Michigan. There must have been a pre-existing relationship between the two before this can be possible.
Successful applicants are assigned to a faculty mentor throughout their stay at The University of Michigan plus, they assisted in furthering their work on any research project by giving full access to the scholars. Interested applicants are given the options to apply for a two months, four months, or six months residency at the University of Michigan. Faculty members of online schools are not eligible for this grant for school.
This scholarship is offered annually, and it is taken at the University of Michigan, Michigan USA.
Application for to this program will end by 15th October 2017.
Liberia, Ghana, Ethiopia, South Africa, and Uganda and other African countries.
Number of Awardees
The number of awardees are not specified.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Candidates must be faculty members of any tertiary institution located in Liberia, Ghana, Ethiopia, South Africa, and Uganda.
- Early career members of any faculty will be given higher priority for this grant for school.
- Interested candidates must presently be an instructor in any university or college in Africa and must have taught for 10 years or less. Tutors from any online school are not accepted.
- Candidate’s Vice Chancellor, deans or head of department must write a recommendation letter to show their support as a home institution.
- Candidates must be willing and able to remain in residence from four to six months in the hosts’ institution.
- Candidates with disadvantaged backgrounds will be considered for this program.
- This program encourages and promotes gender equity.
- Applicants who has momentous foreign experience will not be considered for this program.
Value of Scholarship
Successful scholars of the UMAPS program will benefit the following from the sponsors of the program:
- Residency lasting about four to six months at the University of Michigan, Michigan USA.
- Successful scholars will be granted full access to the University’s resources and will also be attached to a faculty mentor.
- Their air-trip to and from Michigan will be taken care of, by the University of Michigan.
- Modest living allowances, free accommodation, and much more will be given to scholars. (Spouses and/or dependents will not be accommodated by UMAPS)
- Scholars will be given office/laboratory space.
- And a chance to present your research to the university.
Duration of Scholarship
This program which will begin late August 2018 to early February 2019 will last four to six months and this programs will cover all expenses throughout the period.
How to Apply
- Fill and submit the online application form
- Submit your CV along
- Submit your research proposal/scholarly program
- Submit the legal name and full contact information of your home institution Vice chancellor, dean, or head of department.
Note: PDF or hard copy submissions will not be accepted. Only applications made through the online system will be considered.
Kindly visit http://www.ii.umich.edu/asc/initiatives/umaps.html